Friday, November 3, 2017

Study of all 4 Gospels at the Same Time - John the Baptist Declares Jesus to be Messiah - John 1: 29 - 34 - Post 18

On the next day after Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist, John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!  This is the one about whom I said, 'After me comes a man who is greater than I am, because he existed before me.'  I did not recognize him, but I came baptizing with water so that he could be revealed to Israel."  Then John testified, "I saw the Spirit descending like a dove from heaven, and it remained on him.  And I did not recognize him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'The one on whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining - this is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.'  I have both seen and testified that this man is the Chosen One of God." (John 1: 29 - 34)
John the Baptist's choice of words echo back to Genesis 22: 8, "God will provide for himself the lamb for the burnt offering, my son,"  Abraham replied, The two of them continued on together. As God provided a lamb for Abraham and Isaac, God will also provide a lamb for the perfect sacrifice needed to save us from our sins.  That Lamb is Jesus Christ.

The Baptist' message was for individuals to repent and come back to God.  The one coming after him was bringing the message to a much larger audience, Jesus was to bring the message of repentance to the whole Nation of Israel, and the whole world!  Since God created the world and gave us "free choice", we as humans have always sought after the devil and the world; rather than the things of God.  This is why the study of God, is so hard.  Left to ourselves we will pursue the darkness, instead of the Light.  The Baptist could be talking to us today.  We would rather do what we want, and say, I will do what God wants right before I die.  This is dangerous, because none of us knows when death will come to us; when it comes, will we be smart enough to ask God to help us find His Ways?  Or will we die, without making the change.

When the Baptist used the words the Spirit remained on him.  John the Apostle uses the Greek word meno, it means permanency, The Apostle uses it to describe the relationship between God the Father and the Son; and the relationship between Jesus and the Holy Spirit.  Permanence, is a good way to describe God and His Words.  They will never go away, they will never fade.  This study is provided with the hopes of making your belief in God stronger, or providing you with information to help you make the decision to follow Christ.  After the commitment is made you can no longer live as you did before the commitment was made.  Praise God!!!      

No comments:

Post a Comment