Wednesday, June 1, 2011

314th Post Jesus Promises Made to His Followers Con't. - John 17: 12-13

John 17: 12-13
While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
Jesus spoke this prayer in the upper room the night He was to be betrayed. Jesus is continuing His blessing of the disciples, that are with Him. Notice that Jesus says He kept all safe but one. Jesus is referring to Judas here. Jesus calls him the son of destruction, this is a reference to a type of anti-christ. Jesus went on to say that Judas was necessary, in order to fulfill the Scriptures, there are many prophecies saying that one of his group would betray Him. There is a lot of talk concerning Judas' fate. I believe that the Bible is clear on this, and Jesus Himself is confirming it, by saying destruction. Judas lost his salvation. Whether he had it once or never had it, I don't know. Only God can see his heart. Then Jesus returns His attention back to the eleven, by asking that His joy be fulfilled in them. We as Christians are supposed to have an inner joy, and peace that others can see and this is what is to draw non-believers to us. It seems we have either lost it, or never had it. This joy and peace comes with a real understanding of who Jesus is and what He has done for you in your life. If you are walking with Jesus, He is very active in your life. Knowing and feeling this, gives you that joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment