Tuesday, May 22, 2012

518th Post Jesus Said in Parables Con't. - The Parable of the Foolish Rich Man - Luke 12:16 - 21- 1st Post.

Luke 12: 16 - 21; Parable of the Foolish Rich Man, 1st post.
The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully.  And he thought within himself, saying, "What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?"  So he said, "I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods.  And I will say to my soul, 'Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.' "  But God said to him, "Fool!"  This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?"  So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
This was spoken by Jesus about 1 - 1.1/2 years into His earthly ministry.  Looking at this parable in the context of the last few parables we looked at, would make you think this parable had to do with end times because the Foolish Rich's Man's life was going to be required that night.  Is this the real reason Jesus told this parable?  The answer is no.  One of the basic keys to understanding the parables, is to look at the context of where and when the parable was spoken to and to whom.  We will look into this further, next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment