Thursday, April 14, 2011

285th Post Jesus Said on Promises Continued Authority - Matthew 16: 17 - 19

Matthew 16: 17 - 19. Jesus with disciples at Caesarea Philippi.
Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you but My Father who is in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
This was spoken by Jesus two years into His earthly Ministry. There is a lot of teaching on this passage, and a lot of talk of what Jesus meant about upon this rock. Some feel that the rock stands for faith. Some people believe that the rock stands for Peter himself. At Pentecost, Peter takes charge as shown in Acts chapter 2. Peter also tells Ananias and Sapphira that they have cheated the Holy Spirit, Acts Chapter 5. If you know anything about the seals of the Apostles, Peter's seal or shield has the two keys on it symbolizing the keys of heaven. I don't see this confirmation for the stance on faith. Jesus tells the disciples that His Father picked Peter, and the word Peter means "rock" in Greek. Jesus continues that the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. Why would Jesus rapture His Church before Satan was the strongest? Does not seem to make sense. These are not my words but Jesus's, I think He should know, don't you??

No comments:

Post a Comment