Thursday, April 21, 2011

291st Post Jesus Said Promises Made to His Followers Con't. - Authority of Holy Spirit Con't. John 14: 16 - 20.

John 14: 16 - 20
And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever- the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live; you will live also. At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.
This was spoken to His disciples on Maundy Thursday night in the Upper Room before Jesus was to be betrayed. Jesus as usual said a whole lot in not so many words, lets see if I can unlock this passage for you. Jesus is asking the Father to send a Helper to abide with them forever. This is huge. When Jesus walked the earth, He was limited to what He could do, by His physical body. When Jesus sent the disciples out by two's, Jesus could not go in all the different directions that the disciples took when they started their journeys. Jesus being human, could not dwell in the disciples hearts. The Holy Spirit, being Spirit, can in dwell who and where He is sent, and once He is sent one place. He can stay there and go somewhere else He is sent. The other huge promise is that He will stay forever, He won't leave you like orphans.

No comments:

Post a Comment